The following types of items are prohibited or restricted on BitLift:
- Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs, Drug Paraphernalia, and Medical Drugs
- Animal Products and Human Remains
- Dangerous Items: Hazardous Materials, Recalled Items, and Weapons
- Hate Items: Items that Promote, Support, or Glorify Hatred
- Illegal Items, Items Promoting Illegal Activity, and Highly Regulated Items
- Internationally Regulated Items
- Pornography and Mature Content
- Violent Items: Items that Promote, Support, or Glorify Violence
1. Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs, Drug Paraphernalia, and Medical Drugs
Alcohol and drugs are prohibited on BitLift. These substances face serious legal restrictions and in many cases are considered controlled substances under applicable law. Our policy also applies to other substances that have or are claimed to have an intoxicating or healing effect.
The following are examples of items that may not be sold on BitLift:
- Tobacco products, smokeable products, e-cigarettes, and e-liquid.
- Drugs and certain herbal substances, including substances used for recreational and medicinal purposes, regardless of their legality.
- Drug paraphernalia, including, for example: items with a carburetor; slides and/or items with a slide; bongs and bubblers; vaporizers and their components.
- Medical drugs, regulated medical devices, and pharmaceuticals.
Restrictions on descriptions of purported health benefits: A medical drug claim is statement or suggestion that an item prevents, heals, or treats a medical condition or disease. Medical drug claims are subject to varying degrees of regulation. If you make claims about the purported health benefits of an item for sale on BitLift, we urge you to speak with a qualified expert about which regulations apply to you. It is your responsibility to know and comply with all laws and regulations that apply to the items you sell.
BitLift prohibits certain medical drug claims based on our values, such as claims likely to deceive or pose an unreasonable risk to our community. BitLift may remove claims that we deem to be inappropriate, excessive, or otherwise unsuitable for our marketplace. We also remove content that promotes prohibited medical claims, such as anti-vaccine items. If BitLift receives proper notice from a legal authority, we may remove an item.
2. Animal Products and Human Remains
Certain animal products are highly regulated and prohibited on BitLift due to the risk of harm to live, companion, or endangered animals.
The following are examples of animal products that may not be sold on BitLift:
- Live animals.
- Items created using any endangered or threatened animal species. We define these as animal species designated as threatened or endangered by the US Endangered Species Act or listed in Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
- Items made from cat and dog parts or pelts as defined by US Federal Law.
- Ivory or bones from ivory-producing animals, including tusks, elk ivory, fossilized ivory, and wooly mammoth ivory.
- Items made from human remains or products from the human body, except for teeth, fingernails, and hair.
3. Dangerous Items: Hazardous Materials, Recalled Items, and Weapons
For safety and legal reasons, we prohibit certain dangerous items from our marketplace.
Hazardous Materials – Due to the potential harm caused by hazardous materials, as well as complex legal and shipping regulations surrounding such materials, hazardous materials are prohibited on BitLift.
While not exhaustive, the following materials are examples of prohibited hazardous materials:
- Explosives (fireworks or sparklers)
- Flammable items
- Radioactive material
- Toxic substances (such as poisons)
Recalled Items or Items that Present Unreasonable Risk of Harm – Items that have been recalled by governments or manufacturers are prohibited from being sold on BitLift. A few examples of items that have been recalled are certain vintage Corning Ware percolators, lawn darts, and drop side cribs.
Items that present an unreasonable risk of harm are prohibited, even if they have not been the subject of a recall. This would include, for example, items that present a choking hazard. We generally rely on information from various government agencies to identify these items.
Weapons – Context matters when it comes to defining what is or is not a weapon. When in doubt, it’s safe to assume that we won’t allow any item intended to be used as a weapon to inflict harm. The following items are generally not allowed on BitLift:
- Guns, knives, or other blatant weapons, even if they are vintage.
- Imitation firearms and weapons that look real or are prohibited by US law
4. Hate Items: Items that Promote, Support, or Glorify Hatred
We want BitLift to be a community where people of all backgrounds, nationalities, religions, political affiliations, and even different types of artistic taste and humor feel welcome. Art is incredibly subjective, and what is offensive to one is not necessarily offensive to others.
BitLift does not allow items or listings that promote, support or glorify hatred toward people or otherwise demean people based upon: race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation (collectively, “protected groups”). We also prohibit items or content that promote organizations or people with such views.
The following items are not allowed on BitLift:
- Items that support or commemorate current or historical hate groups, including propaganda or collectibles. Examples of hate groups include Nazi or Neo-Nazi groups, Ku Klux Klan (KKK) groups, white supremacist groups, misogynist groups, or groups that advocate anti-gay, anti-immigrant, or Holocaust denial agendas.
- Items that contain racial slurs or derogatory terms in reference to protected groups.
5. Illegal Items, Items Promoting Illegal Activity, and Highly Regulated Items
We respect the law and expect BitLift sellers to respect the law as well. Illegal items and items that promote illegal activity, including counterfeit or stolen items, are generally not allowed on BitLift. Neither are certain items that are subject to complex legal regulations or registration systems. Because BitLift is a global company, it’s important to abide by the laws of the markets in which you are selling. What is legal in one country may be illegal in another. All forms of illegal activity are strictly prohibited. Listings may not facilitate or promote illegal acts.
Additionally, due to complex legal restrictions that vary by location, BitLift does not permit the sale of real estate, housing, or motor vehicles (for example: automobiles, motorcycles, boats, travel trailers, etc.).
We require sellers to follow all applicable laws for the items they list. Examples of items which may be subject to regulation include Native American crafts, plants and seeds, and food products.
6. Internationally Regulated Items
BitLift provides a direct connection between buyers and sellers around the world. If you buy or sell an item from another country, or if you enter into a transaction with someone across international borders, you are responsible for complying with laws and regulations of the country of destination as well as your local laws.
When buying and selling internationally, you should comply with your local laws and be aware that other countries may have their own restrictions. You might be prohibited from exporting or importing certain items under international laws and regulations. Some transactions may require licenses, permits, or other documentation. If you have questions about how to comply with the law, we recommend that you speak to a qualified professional.
When you use BitLift’s services, you are also responsible for complying with economic sanctions and trade restrictions, including those implemented by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”) of the US Department of the Treasury.
BitLift reserves the right to request that sellers provide additional information, disclose an item’s country of origin in a listing, or take other steps to meet compliance obligations.
7. Pornography and Mature Content
We restrict mature content so that people who are offended by this kind of material don’t have to see it. If you are selling mature content, we ask that you be respectful of differing sensibilities.
Pornography of any sort is prohibited on BitLift, whereas mature content is determined on a case by case basis.
Although pornography can be difficult to define, an item generally qualifies as pornography when it contains extreme or explicit version of sexual content.
We define mature content as depictions of human genitalia, sexual activity or content, profane language, sexual wellness items, violent images (within reason; see also Violent Items), and explicit types or representations of taxidermy.
When deciding whether mature content crosses over the threshold into pornography, we take into consideration the explicitness of depictions of sexual activity or content.
8. Violent Items: Items that Promote, Support, or Glorify Violence
We do not allow items or listings that promote, support or glorify acts of violence or harm towards self or others, including credible threats of harm.
The following items are not allowed on BitLift:
- Items that glorify human suffering or tragedies, including items that commemorate or honor serial killers
- Items that attempt to exploit natural disasters or human tragedies
- Items that encourage, glorify, or celebrate acts of violence against individuals or groups
- Items that encourage self-mutilation, starvation, or other self-harm
We hope these guidelines are helpful, but we cannot catalog every permitted or prohibited item. If you see something on BitLift that appears to violate these rules, you can report it to us.